Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Vegan Charming Chocolate Cupcakes

lol that's my nephew. :) His mom (my sister) is vegan and I got this recipe from one of her books.

This recipe makes about 15-18 cupcakes (the original recipe said it made 6 - um, I got way more batter than that! The batter is really tasty, though! lol!)
These cupcakes really are tasty! I made them for my sister and brother-in-law as a surprise Christmas treat. They are very light and fluffy and taste a lot like a chocolate gingerbread (all the molasses!)

Ingredients:
1 cup molasses
1 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
2 cups carob chips
6 tbsp. cooking oil (you can substitute 6 tbsp. applesauce for the oil - less fat)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Whisk molasses, chips, and 1/2 cup soy milk in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat until chips have melted, stirring constantly.

3. Add oil, vanilla, and cornstarch and stir until well mixed. Remove from heat and set aside.

4. In a medium bowl, sift flower and baking soda together. Add remaining milk and "chocolate" mixture and stir.

5. Spoon into cupcake liners and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

References:
This recipe came from one of two books (sorry, I do not own the books so I'm not sure which one I copied them from). Here are the references for both:
Barnard, Tanya and Kramer, Sarah (2003). The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again! Arsenal Pulp Press: Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
Barnard, Tanya and Kramer, Sarah (2001). How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet. Arsenal Pulp Press: Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

No comments: