Cupcakes are so versatile! Use these to celebrate any occasion - birthdays, showers, holidays, or just because it's Wednesday! :) These are as easy as the boxed mixes, but taste far better.
The recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
3 cups cake flour (you can substitute 3 cups minus 6 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour)
1 tsp. aluminium-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (you can substitute 1 1/4 tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups total - let stand 5 minutes before using; or sub 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
3. Whisk eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until well-blended. In a steady stream, pour sugar into eggs, whisking constantly.
4. Gradually whisk in melted butter, then add buttermilk.
5. Add 1/3 dry ingredients. Gently combine. Repeat twice with remaining dry ingredients. Stir until most lumps are gone but do not overmix!
6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 with mix. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool about 1 hour before frosting.
**There are a couple simple frosting options available on this blog.**