Thursday, May 24, 2007

Brownies

I decided today (July 17) it has just been too long since I've made brownies! I had all the stuff I needed in the house so I decided to go for it. I actually found a bunch of new brownie recipes I want to try - amaretto brownies (I'd be making those now if I had almond paste!), mint brownies, some kind of raspberry and chocolate brownies... yum! I also need to try making some blondies very soon. Can't believe I've never done those.
Trying a little twist on my old stand-by recipe from below by adding in some chocolate chips (semi-sweet). I have a recipe which you can add walnuts to (1 cup) but hubby is not a huge nut fan so I'm just going to add 1 cup of chocolate chips to my recipe. Hopefully it will work the way I plan! :)

See below for an optional fudge glaze!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour the bottom only of an 8- or 9-inch square pan.

2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

3. Blend in sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in salt, baking powder, and flour. Pour mix into the prepared baking pan.

4. Bake 20-25 minutes until set in center (do not overbake). Allow it to cool on a wire rack. Spread with optional fudge glaze (see below), cut into squares, enjoy!

Fudge Glaze
Ingredients:
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 tbsp. butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-3 tbsp. warm milk

Method:
Melt butter and chocolate in a small saucepan. Blend in sugar and vanilla with a wire whisk. Add enough milk to make a smooth, spreadable glaze.

No comments: