Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce

I'm not a fan of J.D. at all so when we were given a big bottle of it, I had to go in search of some use for it! I found this online and just tweaked it a bit to my liking. It's an easy-to-make sauce and it's extremely tasty - do not be scared away by the long ingredient list!

If you'd like to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, please substitute soy sauce (the lower sodium stuff is great!) or vegetarian Worcestershire (I like The Wizard's brand) for the Worcestershire sauce (Worcestershire has anchovies in it...) Other than that I'm *pretty sure* this recipe is ok for vegans. Please feel free to comment if I'm wrong!


This recipe makes 4 cups (read, a lot!) However, this sauce does freeze quite well. I make a big batch (usually half this recipe) and then divide it up into 2-person portions in freezer baggies. Just pull it out and re-heat when needed.

Ingredients:
1/2 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (Wizard brand is vegetarian)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/3 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

Method:
1. Combine onion, garlic, and Jack Daniel's in a saucepan. Saute until onion and garlic are translucent (about 10 minutes).

2. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a medium simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Run sauce through a fine strainer to remove the garlic and onion bits.

This sauce is excellent on chicken and salmon. I don't eat red meat, but I am sure it would be a great topping for a steak or burger. For the salmon, I like to let my salmon pieces sit in a little Jack Daniel's for about 10 minutes (refrigerated). Any longer and the fish starts to break apart! Top with the BBQ sauce and grill it as you would normally grill a piece of salmon (med. heat - gas - about 8-10 mins, turning once).
For chicken, I just brush the chicken with the sauce on both sides and grill as usual.
Probably good on steak, too, but I don't eat red meat so I can't really talk about that! I am planning on making this with a steak for the hubby soon, I'll let you know what he thinks!
Shrimp? Maybe! If you try it on shrimp, comment on how you like it :)

No comments: