Friday, May 2, 2008

The real reason God created avocados...

heh :) These are really good! Someone, wish I could remember who, had posted this recipe on the Nest a couple weeks ago and I immediately copied and pasted it so I could save it! I will go for anything with avocados - food of the gods, I'm telling ya!

Anyway, I got some wonderful local avocados for free last week and have been waiting for them to ripen up so I could make these. In the meantime, this meal got so hyped up in my head that when I went to actually make it last night, I was a bit nervous it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as I had made it out to be! Well, all that was for no reason - these were everything I was hoping for and then some!

I am planning on doing them a bit differently next time - I think they would be even more wonderful with some black beans worked in and I'd really love to make the sauce that was included in the original recipe! :)
OMG, I just had a thought - I love mole sauce (chicken mole enchiladas were one of my favourite things). I wonder how well mole would work with the avocado... hmmm! I sense an experiment ;)

By the way, this is a super-fast, easy dinner - great for weeknights! Plus, it's packed with nutrient-dense superfoods!

Here's my version (my additions/changes in purple):

This made 2 enchiladas

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados (slice 'em down the middle lengthwise/along their Prime Meridian - lol - and then use a knife to carefully pop the seed out. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon) - superfood!
1/8 red onion, finely chopped (superfood!)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
Lime juice (I actually realized I had no lime so I used lemon... oops!)
1/4 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (superfood!)
1/2 tomato, seeded and diced (superfood!)
1 clove garlic, crushed (superfood!)
1/4 tsp. cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 flour tortillas
Enchilada sauce (ugh, I used the stuff in a can... so lame! I'm making my own next time!)
A little grated sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Additional cilantro leaves

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Smush up the avocado in a glass bowl. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, tomatoes, jalapeno, lime/lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Mix together as you would if you were making guacamole (um, this really is a guacamole!)

2. Spoon the avocado mixture into the tortillas and roll them up. Place tortillas in the prepared baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cilantro just before serving.

Reference:
This is based on marathon-runner Deena Kastor's Avocado Enchiladas recipe.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Great veggie dish -- if only avocados weren't so expensive in Ohio -- lucky Californian you! I found you from another's blog, but you have some great looking recipes -- I think I'll add you to my sidebar!