Sunday, May 11, 2008

Avocado Enchiladas Redux

I actually managed to improve on the already fantastic avocado enchiladas! If you read my original avocado enchilada post, I mentioned wanting to try them with mole sauce. Well... it really works! I had actually been at a great local Mexican restaurant on Monday and they had avocado enchiladas on the menu. I was offered mole sauce with them so I was not about to pass that up! They were good (but I have to say my filling was more interesting!) - at least I knew the mole-avocado combination wouldn't be weird!

One of my friends hosted a "healthy food event" last night so I decided to make these (as well as the vegan chocolate cupcakes). I found local avocados for 33 cents each so that helped seal my decision to make this recipe.
Both items were a hit and my home-made mole turned out great!

Here's the updated avocado enchilada recipe that I used yesterday, including the mole sauce. Other than the mole, I also changed them by adding more tomato and some black beans for protein.

Yield - Makes 4 enchiladas (since we had a variety of other stuff, we cut them in half; normally this would serve 4).

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic, minced (I actually think I just used 5 cloves)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped

4 ripe avocados, halved and seeded (yes, 1 whole avocado per enchilada!)
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped roughly
Juice of 1 lime
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed (I might actually add more next time)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Method:
1. For the mole sauce, heat 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.

2. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon to the hot oil. Cover and cook until onion is almost tender (about 10 minutes). Stir occasionally during the cooking process.

3. Mix in the chili powder and flour. Stir three minutes.

4. Gradually mix in the broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Boil until reduced (it took mine about 15 or 16 minutes). Stir occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate.

5.
While the mole sauce reduces, prepare the enchilada filling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Smush up the avocado in a glass bowl. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice, black beans, and salt and pepper. Mix together to create a guacamole.

6. Spoon the avocado mixture into the tortillas and roll them up. Place tortillas in the prepared baking dish and cover with mole sauce. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes.

Reference:
Based, rather loosely, on Deena Kastor's Avocado Enchilada recipe.
I found the mole sauce recipe on RecipeZaar. My only change was to add a little extra chocolate after tasting it. Oh, I also changed the chicken broth to vegetable broth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, but you forgot to "add" the dark chocolate in your directions... Does this go in same time as the flour?

Anonymous said...

Oops, just saw the chocolate now.