Monday, March 24, 2008

Cannellini with Salsa Verde

I had this with a stuffed tomato for dinner last night. It was so yummy - great source of low-fat protein! I think the only thing that would have improved the meal would have been a green veggie of some sort (bit hard to remember these things when you're trying to make this along with a steak for your carnivore hubby! ;)

Quick note on the lack of photos lately.. I have been taking them and they are stored on my digital camera. However, I am having technical difficulties! My desktop computer is completely kaput - the motherboard died on it and since it's an old computer I won't be able to fix it... :(
My USB cable from my digital camera (also old!) also decided to quit on me so I'm having to take the memory card out of the camera and stick it in the slot on the front of my printer. I have hooked the printer up to my work (PC) laptop but I'm not sure if I can still stick the memory card in the printer and have the photos transfer to the computer (this worked beautifully on my desktop PC)... since I'm on spring break from work this week I'll have a go at it and see if I can get some photos back on here! Hopefully they turned out OK.. bit hard to tell since the little screen on the back of my camera is teeny (and the thing has pretty crappy resolution anyway!)
Aye! Technology is not my friend!

Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 green onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. flour
1/8 cup white wine
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp. chopped pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked cannellini or other white beans
Optional (I omitted it since I didn't have any) - 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Method:
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, saute the green onion in olive oil over medium heat until they begin to colour. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.

2. Add the flour; stir and cook 1 minute more. Add the wine, broth, pine nuts, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens. If you are using the cilantro, add it now.

3. Process the sauce in either a blender or food processor.

**You can make the sauce up to this point several hours ahead. Refrigerate until you are ready to use it.**

4. Return the sauce to the saucepan and add the beans. Cook just until the beans are heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve warm.

Reference:
From Karen Lee's The Occasional Vegetarian (yes, I really like this book! I do think it's time to invest in some new vegetarian cookbooks, though! Broaden my horizons a bit).

No comments: