Saturday, February 9, 2008

Portobello Parmesan


So I gave up meat for Lent this year. I'm Episcopalian (I was raised in the Church of England) so I'm really only "Catholic Light" but I do Lent every year. :) It's really only hard since my husband is such a carnivore - sort of tough to come up with two things to make every night (there are weeks I have a hard time just coming up with one thing! Oh well... we'll see if I last 40 days! :) Oh the other hand, this is a great reason to try all these yummy vegetarian recipes I've pulled out of magazines and cookbooks!

Serves 1 (you could always double, triple, whatever it)

Ingredients:
1-2 portobello mushroom caps (I only made one since I had a HUGE lunch and wasn't very hungry. I think next time I'll make two).
Cooking spray
Marinara sauce (I used the recipe I have in this blog - I make a ton at a time and freeze it so I always have it available)
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup mozzarella cheese
*The original recipe calls for salt and pepper to sprinkle on the mushrooms before adding the sauce/cheese. I completely forgot but didn't miss it so I've left it off this version. :)

Method:
1. Preheat broiler

2. Remove the brown gills from the undersides of the mushroom(s) using a spoon; discard the gills. Place the mushroom caps, undersides down, in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Broil for 5 minutes.

3. Turn mushroom caps over and top with marinara sauce (you probably one need a couple tablespoons) and the cheese. Broil 3 more minutes or until the cheese melts.

Serve with hot spaghetti and additional marinara sauce.

Reference:
Adapted slightly from the Portobello Parmesan recipe from the October 2007 issue of Cooking Light magazine.

No comments: