Thursday, April 3, 2008

The New (Food) Love of my Life


Oh quinoa, where have you been all my life?! ;) Dang, I had it for the first time last night and LOVE it! Yummy! I made some taboulleh salad thing with it - so tasty! Believe me, you will not miss any additional salad dressing - I thought I might need some oil and vinegar or something but the lemon juice/quinoa/veggie mixture does the trick much better than any dressing (and it's a gazillion times healthier!)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa (superfood!)
1 cup water
2 cups chopped tomatoes (superfood!)
2 cups chopped parsley
1 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup chopped green onions (superfood!)
1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (I also grated a bit of lemon rind and tossed that in, too)

1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
A little sea salt
1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (superfood!)

Method:
1. Boil quinoa in 1 cup water for 15 minutes (same as you would cook rice). Drain.

2. Combine all ingredients and serve over a bed of mixed green lettuce.

Reference:
This came from the Fresh Mama's cookbook that I got from a wonderful parent from work. :)

No comments: