Monday, November 5, 2007

Home made pasta

So I got a new toy for my birthday - the pasta roller and cutter attachments for my KitchenAid mixer! woo hoo! :) I made my first pasta - just a simple whole wheat fettuccine-style thing - a couple weeks ago (just getting back to updating this thing) and it was so yummy! Not sure I'll ever go back to the crappy store-bought stuff!

Here's the recipe I used - it's just the whole wheat pasta recipe from the little
booklet that came with the attachment set (another reason to love KitchenAid!)
I'd been warned by a few people that making pasta was a bit of a pain in the you-know-what... I really thought it was easy! I'll definitely be making more very soon!

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
2 tbsp. water
3 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Method:
1. Place eggs, water, whole wheat flour, and salt in the mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.

2. Exchange the flat beater for the dough hook (ooh! I get to use the dough hook!). Turn to speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 2 minutes. Divide dough into eight pieces before processing with Pasta Sheet Roller Attachment (the flat roller).

I had to add a little more water to mine since it was too dry and flaky - best to do this very gradually.

3. To cook, just add 2 tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. oil to boiling water. Gradually add pasta and continue to cook at a boil until pasta is al dente. Dry pasta will only take 7 minutes; fresh will take about 6 minutes.

I served this with a simple home-made marinara. I plan to try the spinach pasta recipe (no way my husband will touch that, though!) as well as some other "shapes" - I'd like to make some ravioli with it now that I've figured out how easy it is to do the basic stuff.

No comments: