Sunday, December 23, 2007

Vegan Cornbread

I have been asked to make the sausage and fruit dressing that I made for Thanksgiving for Christmas dinner. Given that my sister and brother-in-law will be there, I wanted to make a vegan version for them. I think the cornbread really added to the original dressing recipe so I went on a hunt for a vegan cornbread that I could use as the base for their dressing. Here's the one I used.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups corn meal
2 tbsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. maple syrup or 1/4 cup white sugar (please look for sugar that has been processed in a cruelty-free manner; some sugars are processed using animal products...)
1 1/2 cups soy milk or other non-dairy milk
2 tbsp. olive oil

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or a square pan (I used a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan).

2. Mix the dry ingredients and maple syrup together in a large bowl. Mix the soy milk and oil together and then add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened.

3. Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Reference:
I found this recipe on Recipezaar. Here's a link to the original Vegan Cornbread recipe.

1 comment:

Jen said...

No way! Sugars that are processed via animal products? I had no idea. Thanks for the tip.